VIRTUAL PROJECT CONSULTING
Presents project management tips:
1. What is a project?
A project is a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, service or result. It has a clear start and finish, a set of defined goals and objectives and a sequence of activities.
2. What is a good project definition?
A project has a beginning and an end and is unique; unlike operations that are ongoing. It is about managing team priorities to deliver within time, cost and quality constraints.
3. Why do we need projects?
Some reasons why we need projects in business today are tighter budgets, diminishing resources, more time constraints, more competition and to achieve service excellence.
4. What are examples of projects?
Examples of projects are:
- developing a new product or service
- implementation of strategic objectives
- restructuring your business organization
- constructing a new facility
- office move or re-arranging the office
- planning a special event
5. What is project management?
The application of knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to projects to meet project requirements and deliver projects successfully within budget, on time and with desired quality.
6. What does project management comprise of?
Project management comprise of a set of skills. Also required is:
- Specialist knowledge, skills and experience are required to reduce the level of risk within a project and thereby enhance its likelihood of success.
- A suite of tools for example document templates.
- A series of processes. In professional project management various management techniques and processes are required to monitor and control time, cost, quality and scope on projects.
7. What is a project methodology?
A methodology is a set of methods, processes and practices that are repeatedly carried out as part of a project life cycle to deliver projects. The key concept is that you repeat the same steps for every project you undertake, and by doing that, you will gain efficiencies in your approach.
8. What is the power of project management?
The power of project management is that it makes it possible to focus on priorities, measure and track performance.
9. What are the industries that use project management?
Project management is used in industries like online publishing, banking, software development, information technology and manufacturing.
10. What skills do project managers need?
Project managers need to be very skilled in leadership, communications, human resources-, quality-, time-, cost management and integration.
11. What are the benefits of project management?
Some benefits of having project management in your business are:
- it helps to meet or exceed customer expectations
- it maximizes the use of resources (time, people, money, space)
- it brings projects to successful conclusion within budget, on time and with desired quality
- it documents what was done for future reference
- it builds confidence in your team for future projects.
12. How is project management different from management?
In project management work is managed towards a single objective for a unique endeavor with a definite beginning and an end. In general management it is about multiple related objectives to manage the workload in an operations environment where work is done continuously.
13. How are projects different from standard business operational activities?
- Projects are unique and do not involve repetitive processes
- Projects have a defined timescale. They have a clearly specified start and end date within which the deliverables must be produced to meet a specified customer requirement
- A project have an approved budget
- Projects have limited resources like labour, equipment, material
- Projects achieve beneficial change. The purpose of a project, typically, is to improve an organization through the implementation of business change.
14. Who is the governing body for project management?
The Project Management Institute, or known as the PMI. The Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) is prescribed as their project management handbook.
15. Is there a special qualification for Project Managers?
The Project Management certification is called the Project Management Professional (PMP). The the title of a PMP certification is known and acknowledged worldwide.
PS: For related Project Management articles, read here.
PPS: To use a Project Management Toolkit in your business, have a look at the Solid as a Rock here.